Summertime and the Livin's Easy
Today was the first day at work with no children and it was glorious. The weather has been amazing. I walk outside and it feels like home. Home home. Beautiful 90 degrees and super muggy home. I think I'm alone in appreciating it, but I don't care. It feels familiar, which is a feeling I haven't felt in a long time.
As part of the graduation hoora, our school has this tradition that is super contrived but we had to continue this year (for the sake of continuity, but it will almost certainly not be occuring next year). Each graduate gets a rose. The color of the rose signifies the year they came to the school; the color of the ribbon signifies the high school they will be going to; the accent flower represents their gender; and the beads represent the number of siblings. That's a lot of significance to pack into one rose. Well guess who got to spend Tuesday night and early Wednesday morning with roses and ribbons and accompanying shit spread across the dining room?
The good part of this whole ordeal was that I got to practice my shrinky dink skills. In the art room I found what I believe to be the first pack of shrinky dinks ever made. So for the roses, I made these little key chains with our logo/mascot/brand - the rose window. Hello little funky rose windows...
Yarn Attack!
Yesterday after graduation and a brief co-worker get-together, I went for my second trip to Stitch DC. It's a really pleasant yarn shop over on 8th (SE, though not enough S or E to be the sketchy part of SE) that just so happened to have this beautiful wool. Guess the color name:
And while I was there, I found a secret stash out back of one of my favorites, Padagonia:
Now that I Know My ABC's.
So, now that I know my abc's in title block lettering, our assignment was to do the alphabet (uugh, still) and a title block. Here's my title block for our first project, a bathroom.
Just Add Water.
So our first project is to design a bathroom. I'm such a tangible person, I'm finding it really challenging to visualize everything and just do the plan for it. I'm used to having an idea and then developing it as I get in there and get my hands dirty. This is a whole different ballgame, having to rely solely on how you think something might look. So I started to sketch a bit...
I ignored Matilda and took a different route to get to my school this week; getting there waaay earlier than last week, I took a few minutes to get some pictures of the building. Here's where my class this summer is, and where most of my classes over the next few years will be:
No comments:
Post a Comment