Sunday, June 15, 2008

Florida and Dinner with Dora the Explorer

Sunflowers and Blue Irises.
Let start off with something that is beautiful. I received this beautiful bouquet of flowers at work on Thursday as a thank you - what a fantastic way to near the end of a very hectic week!

Why Not Just Overnight Yourself?
Thursday night at yoga I did a no-no during relaxation and thought "shit, I didn't mail my Father's Day card. Shit, I don't know where my Father's Day card is." When I got home I tore the place up and found it. But then I realized that I didn't have a present, and I didn't want to be that lame daughter who had to overnight some lame present because she procrastinated. A little thought came into my mind: maybe I'll just fly to Florida this weekend; I don't really have any plans, why not? That thought passed.

Friday I had to do a big luncheon for lots of people. But then 3:00 rolled around and I was done (finally). So I opened up southwest.com, and found a flight to Fort Myers.
3:15 in my car leaving work
4:00 arrive at the apartment and throw some clothes in a backpack
4:15 on the metro headed to Union Station
4:45 on the MARC
5:30 at BWI
5:45 asking "can I please buy a ticket for the 6:55 flight to Fort Myers?"
6:45 on the plane
9:55 in Florida hugging the parental unit!

I even got some knitting done on the plane. Here is the eggplant bamboo button-down raglan cropped cardigan. It still needs the edging and button holes; and some length to the sleeves...
Floridays.
Saturday I awoke utterly confused about where I was and why I was there. Eventually it came back to me and I got up to do a little trailer diving. It's like Christmas every time I go through the storage trailer that has housed the majority of my belongings for the last 10 months. Today was the day for a little reclaiming and a little purging: some came out to make the trip Northward, some came out to make the trip to Goodwill.

Then it was off the island to Coldstone (delicious!) and some shopping. Then to Bahama Breeze (delicious!)

I got some knitting done in the car. As promised, here is the raglan with Padagonia I started on the plane after I cast off the eggplant bamboo cardigan:

And we ended up at EXPO which was perfect to do a little research for my class. I went around the bathroom section and took about 4thousand pictures of all of the beautiful sinks, showers, tubs, etc.

Back in the car and one of my Florida favorites: a fierce thunderstorm rolled in:

Next: to Coconut Pointe for some more walking around:
We stopped at Barnes and Noble and I thought I'd check to see how famous Amy is in Florida. I was able to find two magazines on the shelf this month with her articles, Craft and Crochet Today:

Somehow we ended up in front of Ruth Chris's Steakhouse and thought, why not? I've only been to Ruth Chris's one other time, and this easily lived up to the fond memory. You wouldn't think they could make a filet thaaat much better than anywhere else...but I assure you: they can and they do:
Hi Mom and Dad!

Delicious Chocolate Lava Cake (I swear, we did more than just eat today, but somehow that seems to be a strong recurring theme in this post):
Dora the Explorer.
The blur pictured below is my attempt at a covert picture of the man and woman sitting beside us who were lip-locked through the whole dinner. Hard core. Not only full-out making-out, but we got to enjoy the slurping noises that accompanied. Luckily my back was somewhat to them, so I didn't have to witness the whole thing. However I did get to enjoy the look of shock that spread across my parents' faces as they explained that the woman's hand was...doing a little..."exploring."
Shout-outs.
Happy Birthday, Juls!
Happy Father's Day!!!!
Cheers!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I had to add to the Dora the explorer post that we were at the symphony and sitting across from us (yes we were in the cheap seats) there was a couple that was doing exactly that. COuldnt believe it. He was wearing a jacket that he was sure to button but her hand was very well hidden in the lower part of the jacket. " get a room " I say!