1. Most importantly, my grandfather’s heart surgery went well yesterday and he is recovering.
2. I begin my first class at the Corcoran today.
3. I saw Pulp Fiction in the theatre last night.
Corcoran College of Art + Design
I thought I’d share a little bit about the Corcoran as I’m about to take the plunge back into the academic world and have chosen the Corcoran to be the place that I’ll do it. According to the source of all that is good and true, Wikipedia:

But most of my classes will be held at the Georgetown campus.
Here is a sweet piece that mom and I saw being installed for one of the undergraduate senior thesis exhibitions in the Spring: Oh yes folks, that’s knitting!
Pulp (pulp) n.
1. A soft, moist shapeless, mass of matter.
2. A magazine or book containing lurid subject matter and being characteristically printed on rough, unfinished paper
American Heritage Dictionary: New College Edition.
My brother, Eric, has been my informal sensei for a lot of, shall we say, cultural exposure. I’m not sure if it’s because he was always two years older or if he’s just that much cooler than I, but over the years growing up he introduced me to countless movies, bands, and other cultural novelties: American History X, Kids, A Clockwork Orange…Operation Ivy, Rancid, the Sex Pistols…steel-toed Docs and Grinders, sneaking out the window after making curfew (don’t worry, we’ve already been busted for that one), and live shows of local bands. One such nugget of exposure was the great film, Pulp Fiction. This was one of Eric’s favorite flicks, and thus I became intrigued because I thought he was cool. He had the classic Travolta/Jackson/guns blazing black and white oversized poster hanging in his room, and replay after replay of certain sound bytes in the early days of mp3’s:
“The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee. (bang bang bang bang...)“
Tommy found that it was playing at the AFI last night and suggested we go. Awesome. On the big screen? Awesome. It had been a long time since I’d seen it, so it was really great to remember and experience all at the same time.
Modeling Round Two.
Last night before knitting group, I modeled two more of Amy’s newest creations just in time for her to leave for the TNNA conference this morning where she’s teaching two classes!!
I’m still really uncomfortable in front of the camera, but at least we got some props to do something other than the gaze off to the right pose like all of the other pictures.
Here is her beautiful orange vest:
And the giant-yoke cardigan:
Happy Wednesday (omg, why isn’t it the weekend yet?)
No comments:
Post a Comment