Thursday, June 19, 2008

Back to the D of C

You've got a little something there on your face.
Sunday I celebrated Father's Day with my parents and grandparents. We had a chill day, mostly sitting out on the lanai chatting away and catching up. I was able to have two fun encounters with Florida's wildlife. The first was when I was outside on the phone and enjoying one of Dad's gardens and got stung by a wasp. Twice. The second was especially fun. I was out closing up the trailer (aka my DeLand apartment minus what has managed to fit into my civic and/or a suitcase). Something's on my face. I ignore it - probably just a chunk of hair. It takes me a few minutes to realize that the hair is not moving. And it's kind of...heavy. That's totally not hair. So I do that: freeze up, prepare yourself to just swat it away before it has a chance to realize what's happening and react. I thwat it away, and a GIANT gecko lands on the tire next to me. Holy shit! That thing was huuuge. On my FACE. Grooooss.



My grandparents are both avid GreenGlassesintheDistrict readers, so I'm excited to be able to have their debut!

This is Nina. She's pretty fabulous. She's been like my second mom growing up - filling in with the makeup, hair, fashion, and etiquette lessons.

And Papa. He's a bit of a jokester - known to do an Irish jig or two while hosting St. Patty's Day parties. He is ever-ready with some little saying or quip.

Early Monday morning it was time to say goodbye to Florida...

...get a little more knitting done...

...and then say hello to DC.
Just Another Manic Monday.
Our group bummed out a bit, and it was only Emily and I for trivia; which really translates to Emily and I getting one or two questions per round, then Tommy stopping by the table and filling out the rest of them. I seem to always hang out with people who have brains full of useless information and I just don't understand them. I like to claim that I have a bit of recurring amnesia, certainly brought on from when I was two and fell down our spiral staircase in New Hampshire - head first into a steel vacuum cleaner. Surely that had some affect on my (in)ability to retain information.

The exception being the music round. We pretty much kicked ass there.

Working at a school is nice when the kids aren't there.
Work has been so nice and relaxing without the kids. There's still a good bit to do (especially this week), but the difference is that I can actually do it. Giving me time to slip out for lunch with some coworkers. It made me really miss the good old days of our awesome lunch crew for Wasabi Thursdays in DeLand.

We have a lot of great options here on the Hill. For some reason we ended up at this place. Pretty standard fare. Not my favorite, but eh.

The Potpourri Category.
Hi Vara! She's my other roommate who hasn't had much face time on the blog. On my break from class last night, I went exploring up one of the neighbor streets (scouring for food) and happened upon a familiar sign.

Casbah Cafe??? Another trip down memory lane. The Casbah Cafe is this fantastic middle eastern restaurant and hookah bar up in Jacksonville that we frequented. This was not that. Or even close.

From the Outside.
I love not driving to work. I love walking to the metro and seeing the sidewalks fill with people; grabbing the Express and waiting for the train; squeezing into the car or sprawling out, depending on how long it had been since the last train came through; walking through Union Station as the tourists look around puzzled and the business people rush by in their suits; making the long but beautiful walk down second - past the senate office building, capital, pennsylvania avenue, library of congress, folger theatre. But today I had to drive. I was bummed, but there was a little silver lining as I drove past Union and got to see it from the outside. This is one of my very favorite spots in all of DC.
Lost Tour.
Speaking of how awesome DC is, I got lost yesterday. This is not an unusual phenomenon, in fact it happens quite frequently. Despite all of Matilda's best intentions (my gps), I inevitable end up saying to myself "oh geez. Where the hell am I?" But the fantastic part is that that this was my trip as I turned off Maine thinking I was heading to Utrech to get some last minute supplies for class:

I ended up on 395. South. That's bad.

Hi Jefferson Memorial, goodbye Washington Monument.

Just get me off of here - take the first exit, whatever it is and figure it out.

Hello Pentagon, why am I driving through your parking lot?

'Sup Arlington National Cemetery.

This is a beautiful Memorial Bridge, heading right into the Lincoln Memorial.

OK, back on track. Just make a right, and go back 15 blocks.

'Sup White House. Why is it that every time I get lost you pop up?

I guess all I'm saying is that there are far worse places to get lost...this is a pretty damn cool place to spend some of my twenties.

Peace.
Signing off with a little announcement: there won't be many posts for the week of July 6 - 13. Apologies in advance. But I'll be sure to make up with it with all of my pictures from my TRIP TO IRELAND!!!!!

No comments: