Sunday, June 22, 2008

Everything is Better in the Miniature

Sunday has become my favorite day. No matter what the hustle and bustle of the week entails, it seems like Sunday is a glorious day week after week. This week was no exception.

After my train wreck of a Saturday night, I awoke this morning for cinnamon buns and coffee with the roomies. I think this is becoming our new tradition, and I am fully supportive of that. Then we ventured off to Georgetown. I justified this procrastination of my homework by knitting two little bathmats for my bathroom model on the metro:
I introduced the ladies to Paper Source, a spectacular store that carries all things paper related and is a perfect (and perfectly dangerous) spot for craftsers like us.

Hi Vara!
Then we hit up Stitch DC where I found some yarn to make my Ireland scarf. Um, it's 50 there right now. That's their summertime. I froze my tush off on the last Europe trip (even having to stoop to buying a cheap, acrylic, UGLY scarf in a train station just for warmth) and am not planning on a repeat experience. So I found some lovely organic cotton in 4 shades of neutrals (ivory to taupe) that will become something between a scarf and a shawl.
Finishing it up with a stop by La Madeline - a fun little French cafeteria with the most amazing chicken friande.
Then it was work time. Everything is being constructed for a 1/2" scale model of the bathroom I am designing for my class.

I started building the floor. I took small rocks and arranged them from dark to light, then packed grout onto the bottom of them and mushed it down in around the rocks. I let it dry for two hours, then flipped it over and grouted it like normal.
Then I built a sink. Balsa wood for the base:
Then some sculpy and paint for the sink and fixtures. Complete with a little hot glue for the water effects.
Sculpy for the shower head and knobs, toilet, bath tub, and bath faucet/spout. Then I "tiled" one of the walls (ugh, 2 more to go...). I painted the foamcore grey for my grout color, then used painters tape in 1/16" to mark out the tiles.
I used a texture + mixed in some acrylics to create my stone tiles and painted that on top of the tape. When it dried I ripped off the tape to complete my tiling job.

Next I cut matte board to create my steps and whittled/painted a piece of balsa wood that will become a spiral staircase.

It's hard to believe that this is about 10 hours of work and I still have so much more to do! Clockwise from the top left: stone tiled wall, bathtub (simulating a boulder carved into a tub - they actually make these!), bath faucet, bath mat, sink, stone floor, center rod and stairs for the staircase, shower head and hot/cold fixtures, shower mat, and a wall-papered column to help support my lofted bathtub area.



I'm looking forward to going back to work tomorrow with my hands returned to their studio-fabulous state with grout, paint, and other assorted elements that won't come off. Happy Monday to all - cheers!

Sending some love out the the west coast - Happy Birthday, Stephen! (he started a blog)

1 comment:

Hannah said...

I love that sink! How cute!