Thursday, July 17, 2008

(Un)Kitchy Kitchen

Back to School: Open House.
Between holidays and vacations, it's been a few weeks since class. Last night was back to reality and back to drafting. We started to design a house. Beginning with a bubble diagram to put the rooms in relation to each other.

Then I did a little mock-up in excel to space plan.

We're focusing in on the Kitchen for the next project (due next week) than the whole house is to be completed in another 2 weeks (eek!) A take on a floorplan:

And an elevation of one wall featuring a shelving design and a cafe table area.

A second elevation showing the adjacent wall with a large window (in yellow, it's a bit hard to see here) and some shelves and the sink.

With any hope, this will come together into an actual concrete design by next week. We also have to do an electrical plan (::yawn::) to show lighting, wiring, outlets, etc. I don't think I'll have the time to do a full "dollhouse" model for this one, but we'll see what happens. I'm not ready to put the sculpy away just yet :)

The Following Project is Brought to you by Ms. Sara.
I've been slacking in the crafting area, so let's dust this one off from the archive of unpublished projects.

When I was starting my new job, it was a bit traumatic to realize work wouldn't have the same fantastic people from my old job. So my transitional object (high five to my social worker roommate who taught me that term) was to make one of Sara's signature pen flower pots. It's so simple! You just need a clay pot, filling (you can use glass rocks, I used river rocks), pens, artificial flowers, and the green tape you can find in the artificial flower arranging section of your craft supply store.

Cut the fake flower stem down to about 5" or just shorter than the length of your pen.

Hold the stem against your uncapped pen and begin wrapping the tape tightly around both, working from the writing side of the pen up to the base of the flower.

Fill your pot with the rocks and stab your finished pens in!

It adds a little flare to your desk, you'll always have a pen handy, and your pens won't disappear.
Green Glasses, Green Thumb.
After resigning to the fact that I had put my work orchid into a coma, Scot and I arranged a trade: my ailing orchid for a nice and hearty jade plant. I'm happy to report that a few months later my jade is alive and well! ( and I hear that the orchid is back awake and loving life).

Also, the plants at home from the farmers market...THRIVING! I need to get a picture, but they've doubled in size at least. The house orchid...not as much. But perhaps she's just hibernating :)



This weekend is Artscape...get excited!

Next weekend is Canterbury Country Fair...get really excited!

No comments: