Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Still not sure about the sweater, but handwarmers are ok.

As a direct result of my procrastination on this project, I had a night of work and sleep that was reminiscent of my senior year: lots of work and an hour nap and quick freshening up before running out the door to go to work. But my kitchen is done! (mostly) I'll have more pictures of later, as they're on still on my camera; but for now, here is peek of a the photoshopped version of the room. No model or sculpy this time, but there was a little crafting project that accompanied. I don't know if it's because I'm naturally drawn to this color palate or if there's been too much drudging up of the past lately; but this room has striking similarities to NightLites - a space at my college that I redesigned last year.


This view shows one entry into the kitchen: from the mudroom/laundry room. Next to it is a message center; pretend the front edge of the counter is rounded from the fridge to the door. Then my LG brushed stainless steel side-by-side refrigerator, small counter with cabinets; a beautiful Viking glass range and oven; and more counter with cabinets. In the space on the far right is a lazy-susan cabinet that I wasn't really sure how to render on either wall...so it's just blank.



Going clockwise around to your right...again pretend there's a lazy susan cabinet on the far left. Then a really cool white barnhouse sink. My kitchen is magical - you don't actually use a faucet for the water. Or I just finally gave up because all of the pictures of faucets are taken at a side angle. But it's a beautiful wall-mounted brushed-steel curved faucet. To the right is a big window looking out into Ireland (hi Burren!) and in front of the window is a little cafe table set.



Around clockwise to the next wall there is a built in section of green subway tiles to create the space for the cafe table with a picture of the Cliffs of Moher. To the right of that is a series of floating white shelves that run up the wall and then run around the perimeter of the room at 18" down from the ceiling. Each of the shelves holds different glass objects - mostly vases, pitchers, glasses, etc. in a similar color palate. The second shelf up from the bottom is a shorter shelf holding smaller green glass. The top shelf around the room all has glass in shades of green.



And the last wall is a bit boring. Just showing the other entrance into the dining room. Both this and the entrance to the laundry/mud rooms are just open doorways - no actual door.



Story Time Starring Knitting.
A guy named Dave wandered into the pub joined our team for Quiz this week. He turned out to be an Army Chaplain, just starting at Walter Reed. He went to a wedding last weekend for one of his army buddies. The couple met in Iraq; she knit him a hand warmer and they fell in love. I know this counters the "never knit a man a sweater [...]" idea, but I think the story is just so darn cute. I know that so many knitters get frustrated when the people who receive their knitted goods don't appreciate them as much as they should. I'm happy to hear a story to the contrary.

No comments: