Thursday, July 24, 2008

Dandelions will make you wise.

Make a Wish!
It has been a strange week. It seems like I and so many people I know have had bizarre and usually quite unlucky things happen to them this week. So my wish is for life to stabilize for everyone. Something in the world is out of whack. So ::::phhhhhh:::: (that was me blowing this dandelion out in Georgetown) that's my wish.

(Un)Kitchy Kitchen.
A few drawings for the floorplan, 2 elevations, and an electrical plan. One down...3 to go...
No model this time, but I had some fun making my presentation board. Here's the finished product. I built a 4" deep wooden shelf into the board to hold my little vases.
and with my title block (too reflective) and the electrical plan added in:
The electrical plan was supposed to be able to be laid over the floorplan to show how the lights and outlets relate to the room. So rather than just slapping some restickable tape on it, I rigged it up like this:
I hot glued a piece of 1" balsa wood onto the board. Then attached my vellum with the floorplan and elevations and hot glued another piece of balsa wood across the whole thing. Then on top of that I hot glued a third piece, leaving the section above the floorplan unglued. Then I rolled the top of the electrical plan vellum and glued it so that the roll stayed. Then the vellum slipped right between the layers of wood and rested on the roll. It looked very elegant when it was just sitting there and kinda cool to whip it off to expose the floorplan below; but it was a bit ungraceful to try to slide it back through the small slit to return it to it's resting place.


Green Glasses.
I did this project for my kitchen design, but I think it would be really fun to make more and add different colors and designs! My problem was that I needed lime green glass objects - mini vases preferably. No luck. The best I could find were these three little vessels from Pier One. Sooo...

Clear glass + nailpolish:

Pour in a lot of clear, and then a mix of your colors.

Then swirl it around (or not as much if you want streaks of the distinct colors) and start to roll the glass so that you coat the whole inside.
Tada! I used different mixes of the nail polishes for each, causing the slight color/transparency differences.

"yea, I have one of those.....in Florida"
it's a phrase that I've said almost daily since December. It's also what has caused me to sleep with the same set of flannel sheets since December and without a comforter. Why buy something I need when I already have one (...in Florida). Well I finally caved tonight and bought a second set of sheets more appropriate for July (cream cotton) and a quilt. A real grown-up bed! Ohhhh it feels just delicious! I want to go crawl into it right now.

Mustard Pot.
Tonight I also picked up the flower pot that I painted last week when Emily and I went to Color Me Mine. The color looks kind of strange against the pink wall...but it's a mustard yellow with dark dark brown detailing and plate. Now I just need to find a plant that will survive with no sunlight in my bedroom because that's were it matches.


Next up: a visit this weekend to my hometown!


I'll leave with a little excerpt from my parents as they emailed me about their adventures in North Carolina. I'll work on getting some pictures out of them for these fun times.

[...] here goes. Up and out this morning and we went on a zip-line, more like 7 zip-lines. The first 5 were warm up zips, about 400' each, and then the 6th one was about 800' feet, and then we went on the big one: 2700' feet long. We both went at the same time on the last one. What a blast! Then we had a quick lunch and walked around Boone for a while and then we did a climbing wall. You would have been so proud of your mother as she did it 3 times!!!!! [...]

No comments: