Sunday, July 6, 2008

The Ruesswicks Take on DC

It has been another great parental visit; this time my brother, Eric, joined in the festivities - a rare treat. I'm posting from the airport as we're waiting to board the plane, so this will be the quick and dirty recap before it's all overshadowed by Ireland.

We ate a lot of good food. As my mom proclaimed at one point "you know, we have yet to have a bad meal in DC. I really have a knack for picking out good restaurants." Well that statement floated for about half a second until we all laughed and reminded mom that she hasn't actually picked any of the restaurants that we've gone to. Oh mom....

Eggspectations in Silver Spring:

Two mornings. These are both from the first morning. I believe we were all a bit under the weather the second morning and luckily a camera didn't come out to document our condition.
The Chart House in Old Town - Alexandria, VA. Hi Eric!
Everyone got into the swing of riding the metro.Friday we celebrated Independence Day in our nation's capital (a nickname for DC I despise and use only in sarcasm) with a parade in the morning, a trip to the National Building Museum to see the Ero Saarinen exhibition, a trip to the National Portrait Gallery to see the exhibition of portraits of the American Presidents, then back to the Mall (in the rain) to camp out before the fireworks. The Ruesswick family was joined by honorary members Kelsey and Sean, and my roommate, Emily. When it started to really pour, we sought refuge in the Museum of Natural History, then ventured back out and onto the steps of the National Gallery of Art west building (a prime spot I would return to next time) for the big show.

It was nothing short of fantastic. Though we couldn't hear the orchestra from our spot, we had an awesome and unobstructed view. The icing on the cake was it allowed for a quick and easy exit route that had us sliding into our seats at the Quarry House in Silver Spring 40 minutes after the last firework. Excellent.

Next stop was McGinty's. Back at the QH mom and turned down doing a car bomb - claiming that she only does those in DC in Irish pubs. Well, upon arrival at McGinty's, a fine Irish pub, Sean insisted that mom put her liver where her mouth was, and we did a family car bomb (Mom, Eric, Sean, and I). Willem Dicke was performing, and he was simply amazing. He seems to cater to the ADD crowd - segwaying from The Beatles to Britney Spears then back to the Beatles; or Johnny Cash to Coldplay to something hip-hop back to Cash. It was amazing and we had a blast.

Eric requested some Social Distortion, then joined him onstage for a little "Ball and Chain".
This is how I look most of the time, with the camera in hand. Unfortunately I was so intent on gathering the pictures of the weekend from Emily and my parents, I never actually dumped MY camera onto my computer. BUT, this will be one of the last pictures of me looking like this, as I will be sporting my new Nikon D60!!!!! It's so beautiful.

This is another demonstration of Dad's amazing ability to casually snap the PERFECT self-shot with everyone and the background subject all fitting into the frame. That's the Jefferson Memorial in the background on Saturday during part of our adventures around DC.
DC was tourist-central, so we took a quick escape down to Old Town in Alexandria. Down by the waterfront we found this really cool guy playing glasses:
And yet another perfect self-shot by dad. The audio to accompany this shot: Mom: "ok, now make sure you get all of us and the Metro sign that says Silver Spring, so you can tell where we are"
I'll sign off with the innapropriate comment by Eric at lunch today that had us all crying. Getting back into the Europe mindset, I ordered a Hofbrau Brautwurst at Capital City Brewing Company, whereas Eric had ordered a Thai chicken pasta. He was grossing out about my meal so I said...

Me: "What? I'm sure yours has just as many preservatives in it as mine does."
Eric: "I don't mind the preservatives, it's the lips and assholes that get me."

No comments: