Thursday, July 31, 2008

Refashioned tshirt skirt

I have two skirts from American Apparel that are made from jersey material and are super comfortable. It's one of those things you look at and say "I could totally make that". So I decided to break out the sewing machine and try my hand at it.

.

Materials:

  • 2 old tshirts
  • Extra cloth for decoration (optional)

.

I started with the four panels on the bottom. They're all the same shape, so I traced one panel onto each of the tshirts, cutting through both the front and back of each:

And I cut out those sections, giving me 4 identical pieces:

Then I sewed them all together. I used 2 grey tshirts, but I suppose you could mix two different shades or colors together. I mixed the panels with each other so that it wasn't exactly half one shirt and half the other (panel 1 from shirt 1, panel 2 from shirt 2, panel 3 from shirt 1...)

Then I used the excess material from each shirt to trace the top band onto each. The cloth is folded over so that there is a double layer of material for the whole band.



I opened up the fold of each and sewed them to each other, so that when they were folded back in half all of the seams are hidden. Then I sewed the band to the skirt.

My original skirt lined the seams of the band up with the seams of the panels, but I found that I like the seams of the panels to run along the front of my thighs instead of down the sides of my hips. So I off-set the seams.

Then I took an old sheet from the second hand store and cut out some flowers. I did it kind of messy, but I suppose you could do a more exact cut and try to avoid the white edging.

I set my machine to do a zig-zag stitch really close together and slowly ran along the edge of the embellishment.


And ta-da! A skirt.

I discovered that if you pull it up, it could actually make a cute little tube-top dress. But I'll try to make one a little bit longer before that gets any kind of documentation :)

1 comment:

kiku said...

super cute. good job!