Thursday, July 3, 2008

Farewell For Real

Yarn Attack!
I got a visit from the yarn fairy yesterday, as my box from
Webs arrived much earlier than anticipated. Emily found one of my favorite yarns on sale there, and sent me the link. Well, that's all the encouraging that I needed as I embarked on filling my first online yarn shopping cart. I'm happy to say that nearly everything I bought was on sale (and most at a HUGE discount!) In case any other yarn enthusiasts are looking to justify their purchases, I'll share my excuse: when you're looking at your budget, yarn falls into the clothing, entertainment, decorating, social, AND educational categories. What else covers all of that?

I don't have color names for any of them except in numbers, so I'll make it up:

Araucania 100% cotton, four in color 34 and four in color 35 (I'll call them purple frosting and strawberry shake):

Blue Sky Bulky 50% alpaca, 50% wool. two in smurf, one in tangerine. Right now it has the beginnings of something that will soon be frogged. But eventually I think it will turn into something Gatorific for my favorite Florida Girl ::wink wink:: !

Umm. Mondial Filati Lana & Cotone (Italia) Solare Filo di Scozia? 100% cotton. Three in this Georgia peach, one on it's way that is a few shades darker (for the collar and armbands of a raglan, of course).

And some of my new yarn of choice: Sublime 100% organic cotton. Two in pink eraser, two in mint green, and one in the cream.

Farewell For Real.

Last night was also our last craft night with Amy, Selma, and Jay. The SSK farewell wasn't as sad because we knew we'd still have our craft night, but this time it was farewell for real.

An example of how classically funny Emily can be came when Jay came teetering over to us, batting his big brown eyes, and asked us to read him a goodnight story. Emily: "what's that? You want to crank up the volume on my biological clock? TICK TOCK TICK TOCK"

Though we resorted to just sitting around talking and knitting for most of the night, we were able to collectively complete one craft: a container for Amy's drop spindle made from used tape rolls and cardboard. I'll have to pirate some pictures from Emily of the final product - it was actually pretty cute!


I had major commitment issues when it came to knitting, so I worked on one and started 2 more projects.

I cast on the beginnings of a raglan caplet from the blue sky bulky, but I wasn't happy with just how bulky the bulky is for this particular project. So then I started a scarf from the hand spun yarn from Crafty Bastards. We all enjoyed the beauty of the yarn until Amy discovered that it was called Gristle. A grossly accurate name. No one could look at it the same after that revelation.

Finally I went back to the tiny tiny iPod case that I'm crocheting with tiny tiny crochet floss on a tiny tiny hook for an old friend, Stephen. I'm trading him a library of new music for an iPod case. I'm still just forming the basic body structure, but here's a sneak peek:

Happy Independence Day!


3 comments:

Steve said...

I'm super excited because that case looks super awesome! Perfect color choice too!

Sara Pancoast, 'Gator Girl' said...

um, whilst I like your yarn color name choices I was kinda hoping you'd go a little more OPI on me and call them something like "strawberry-shake-it-don't-break-it" and "hippo-purple-mus" :) Miss you! Cheers!

Oh yea, and if you haven't watched/read P.S I Love You ... get some tissues, watch it, and be prepared to snag yo'self a cute Irish boy!

emmybear said...

"... yarn falls into the clothing, entertainment, decorating, social, AND educational categories. What else covers all of that?" daaaamn riiight.