The bathroom and kitchen turned out to be just child's play as I delved into making my final project: a house. I thought it would be a good idea to do my drafting on a piece of plexiglass.
"how hard could it be?"
Ha.
So I laid it over my working floorplans and went at it.
And some more...
And some more...
Then I took my piece of board and painted a white box on it for the floorplan to hover over.
And it hovers about 1.5" above the board. This isn't the construction technique I planned to use, but it got the job done with the tools I had available (I miss my dremmel!)
My house includes: a large entry and living/common space, a master bedroom, walk-in closet and bathroom with a loft; a mudroom/laundry room; a kitchen and dining room; 2 kids bedrooms, a small common play room, a second bath, and a library/study with a lofted studio. It also had a large atrium area that is the outside inside (paying homage to the atrium in the portrait gallery that I love so much).
It also includes a 10' square conversation pit; kids rooms that share a space vertically: giving one room a cave and the other a reading loft; a ball pit (white and beige balls to make it classy); and recycled rubber floors in the kids' spaces.
This elevation of part of the North wall shows how the cave/loft is created in the kid rooms. It also shows the built-in cubicles in one of the rooms as the storage for the room. The poched (the hatched) area is the wall.
The layering effect.
Ringo came over to inspect my work. He tends to follow me around at night so he kept watch over me as I worked on my project. I think he was a little upset that I kept him up all night; cutting into his beauty rest.
And my final board:
In a combination of exhaustion and nostalgia for how our class bonded, we had a really fun presentation night.
Leah and Caroline.
A very pregnant Caroline. She's due in 4 weeks! We did potluck last night, so she announced that she brought in a towel. Evidently the word for tablecloth in Portuguese is the same for towel, but we all panicked thinking she was talking about having the towel ready in case she went into labor.
Pam with her board.
She used these on her board as part of the inspiration. I just loved the colors and the arrangement. I'm such a sucker for fiber!
Brad and Caroline chatting after the presentations were done.
All in all I had a really fun time in the class. I was a bit hesitant at first: "I wanted to design galleries, not pick out appliances for a house." But it turned out to be really fun. I still don't think I'll end up in residential design, but I can see how it offers the opportunity to try fun new products and really get hands-on with it.















1 comment:
snazzy looking board, I'm quite impressed. where's the ball pit? and what's in the room that the front door opens into?
Post a Comment