Sunday, August 24, 2008

Baby knits.

I seem to be having total blogger's block lately. So this will be another bare-bones, low-wit post. Sorry...

Oh Baby.
Friday night we had a dinner out in Bethesda to celebrate Caroline's about-to-pop-out-a-baby-ness, giving me a good excuse to try knitting baby gear. Um. Not my most successful venture. I knit a little short-sleeve (raglan) sweater from Sublime's organic cotton in a dusty rose color.

I also crocheted a little hat from some pinkish Malabrigo wool.

And some decorative paper turned gift wrap for the goods.

Mom-to-be, Caroline, went a little nuts over the knits for Baby Sophia.

Pam chose
Grapeseed in Bethesda for the dinner. It's a cute restaurant with a small but good menu of food, mostly serving as an accompaniment to the extensive wine list. I drove (a foolish decision that contributed to an overall annoying evening), so I only sampled a Gwertzraminer. I always associated that type of wine with The Abbey, as it was one of my usual orders there yet I rarely see it elsewhere. It was delicious along with my pan-seared chicken and (amaaazing) fried macaroni and cheese.

Per usual, this is how I spent a lot of the night. Though I was frustrated with the lighting and refused to employ the flash, so not many of the pictures survived the easily accessible delete button.

It was fascinating listening to Caroline and her husband who have lived in and visited incredible places. Both with their thick Brazilian accents (bringing back fond memories of Cyriaco), their stories of adventure were captivating. As I should have expected, dinner went late into the night. Coupled with ridiculous traffic, prospects of Loda at Gallery went out the window. Next came an unplanned and unintentional tour of all of the big night spots of DC; so I was thrilled to be out of the car and on a sleepy A Street.

Movie night instead. Waking Life is one of those movies that has such deliberate composition that every frame could be made into a beautiful print.



Burn.

I had great plans to make the buttons for my new sweater. Sculpi became my new friend with the model making of this summer, so it was the natural solution. I took some eggshell and wrapped it in olive.
I sliced it up, fixed it back into the round, and poked some holes in it with a toothpick.
In the oven for the allotted time and...voi...la....damn. They're all burnt. I checked periodically as they slowly turned from beautiful eggshell to some brick color, but the clay wasn't hardening until it was this color. Um. Not really what I was going for.

As my crafting skills seem to be abandoning me as quickly as my writing skills, I'll end this with one ability that remains in tact...my ability to eat. This is the delicious salad I got while playing delivery girl on Friday. My mid-day trek around Capitol Hill and Eastern Market at least afforded me the opportunity to escape the third day of drilling outside my office window and to stop off at a new discovery: Marvelous Market. Fresh mozzarella, rotini, arugula, grape tomatoes, balsamic, salt and pepper. Deliciousness.

No comments: