Sunday, August 24, 2008

A day with Malabrigo silky.

A lovely Sunday with little on the agenda, so Emily and I decided to head up to an old favorite...the Takoma Park Farmers Market (established in 1982). I got a loaf of sourdough, some rosemary, and one picture before my camera died. Unfortunately, that one picture was not of the old man with a cane doing laps around the market carrying a dead fox with a metal trap latched around it's torso, dangling from a chain that his old decrepit fingers clutched on to. I watched him in awe as he carried on conversations with people, swinging his carcass-on-chain clad hand around to emphasize his words, as the fox's limp body swung in harmony. It was a train wreck you couldn't help but be captivated by.

But I digress. This post is actually about the beautiful Malabrigo silk/merino yarn I picked up at Now and Then next to the Farmer's Market. Even the store owner couldn't resist molesting this yarn as I made my way to the register. It's soft and it's beautiful. I took two skeins home with me and immediately wound them to begin an undecided project. As I, too, fondled the yarn, Emily snapped a picture of me and my new love.
Two beautiful skeins. What to make...
Naturally I turned to ^my stitch^ and embarked on a wide scarf, reminiscent of my recent Ireland scarf. Though other assorted Sunday activities distracted me for most of the day, I was able to cast on poolside and knit leisurely with Absurdistan perched in my lap.
One skein is done, a good stopping point. Again, the lighting in our dining area is terrible, so this isn't true to the colors at all. But you can see the work in progress.
This one (below) is probably the truest in color. I was a bit skeptical of how it would drape with the wool content, spoiled last with the Sublime cotton. But the silk prevails and it drapes beautifully after all.


^ co multiples of 3 + 2. K1, *yo, k2tog (tbl)*, K1.

No comments: