Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Tshirt Redux

Monday afternoon, and I was feeling crafty. I'm tired of wearing the same old manufactured cookie-cutter clothes that come out of my closet. Only an hour until Pub Quiz, what is a girl to do?

So I decided to save the starting from scratch attempt for another day, and pulled out this tshirt. It is one of the dozens that I have from various Stetson events.

Cut it up
I cut out the neck and cut off the sleeves. I cut off the bottom hem, and used a seam ripper to open it up, then cut that in half longways.

Jersey is a really cool material to work with because when you cut it into strips, you can stretch it out and it curls into a little cord. Perfect! Save these pieces for the strings to scrunch up the sides of the shirt.



Sew What

Then I turned it inside out and sewed up the sides, leaving a normal sized armhole (rather than the large one tshirts usually have), giving me about a 1.5" fold of extra material on either side. I took that fold and flattened it out along the seam. Then I zig-zag stitched (yea, there's probably a more technical term for that) back up the seam creating two little channels along the inside sides of the shirt. I took the strips/cords that I had cut off the bottom, strung it up one channel and down the other on either side. Bunched it up and tied it into a bow.


Tada!
Tshirt refashioned into a saucy little top.



All in all this only took about 15 minutes!! Really simple, really fast. Comfort of a tshirt, but a just a little cuter. Give it a try :)

No comments: