Sunday, April 27, 2008

I Love Raglan

The Sites
With all of the beautiful weather in the DC metro area lately, I've been able to go out and enjoy some more of the sites. I revisited some of the monuments/memorials (Lincoln, Vietnam, Washington) and saw the WWII for the first time. The water features in the WWII memorial are spectacular. We also went out to the Arlington National Cemetery.


(cliche aviator shot with part of the tomb of the unknown soldier in the reflection. Thanks Dev!) We saw the Kennedys' grave, Lee's house, and the changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier. We thought the ceremony was done, so we started to walk down the pathway when they started playing the bugle for a wreathing. It's amazing how certain senses can evoke memories - a few notes in and I was thrust back to September when we buried my great great uncle, Cliff, a WWII vet.

Good Place to Eat
This is one of my favorite things about living in DC. I was headed into Arlington to meet some people, and I decided to stop along the way for lunch. I hopped off the metro at Union Station and grabbed a Caprese sandwich to eat on the front lawn. It's an amazing place to watch people coming and going; to look around and think about all the years of people coming and going from this building. When I first moved up here, a friend commented about how amazing it is to live here: that years from now when we move away, we'll look back on the time that we walked by and around these great buildings and sites as a part of our daily routine.

Going to the Zoo (Zoo, Zoo...)
Last night the clouds rolled in, leaving crummy weather today. But it was Zoo day nonetheless. These pictures aren't the best, but I had to share them anyway - just to show you how cute the animals were. This panda was my favorite. He's got a pile of bamboo on his belly, as he's laying on his back just munching. Adorable.





Mammal trivia I learned at Pub Quiz last week:

Q: What is the only mammal that cannot jump?



A:










Knitting


This afternoon I was finally able to finish off two projects I had been working on with the Patagonia cotton. They're both Raglan tops (thanks for the lingo Emily). One is a pullover done on size 6 circulars. I was initially planning on making it 3/4 or full sleeves, but I fell in love with the cap sleeves, so short it was!


The second
is a simple caplet based off of the Anthropologie inspired caplet.

I'm really enjoying this top-down raglan styled top. Amy swore by it, and I'm glad I finally tried one. In my 6+ years of knitting, I've never successfully finished a sweater (and actually wanted to wear it) because it was always so complicated with the different pieces and seaming, and I would get impatient and it would just end up a sad pile of mixed pieces.) But with the raglan style - one piece, no seaming, simply magic!

Check it Out

Don't forget to check Post Secret - Sunday means new secrets!

Also check out Amy's newest post - it shows our knitting group, Amy getting a really great award, and me modeling her new hat!

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

holy crap! did you do those since I last saw you? Those look amazing.. will you please teach me how you did the sleeves sometime?

In short, I'm super impressed.

Anonymous said...

Um, ok, so that t-shirt looks so adorable on you--you're not *really* going to give it away, are you?