Thursday, April 10, 2008

Changes is Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes...

...nothing remains quite the same.

This song has been stuck in my mind all day. I guess that line pretty much sums up the transformation of my life over the last 8 months. I left nearly everything I knew behind to embark on new adventures. I had no idea it would end like this; but I'm sure I'll look back on it someday and decide that it was the best thing that could have happened. Whatever happens, I'm a better person now, having taken all of the leaps of faith, than I was before - relaxing in my safety zone. It's shocking to stop sometimes and realize that your life has turned in a direction that is not at all how you had expected it to be; but it's also amazing to recognize that you have the power and resilience to change so much of your circumstances. So I guess that's my change in attitude: I'm no longer accommodating my life and changing my goals or putting them aside - I'm focusing on me. I thought I depended on someone so much more that I actually did, and that's a great feeling.

So I've decided to apply for graduate school. A program at the Corcoran in Exhibition Design. I've been wavering back and forth for a few weeks, but now I'm certain that it's what I want to do. I've also decided to stay in DC. I've thought a lot about taking off to a new place or heading back to somewhere more familiar, having no real ties here. But I like DC. It's been tough scouting the place out without really knowing a soul up here, but I'm finding my niche.

Someone asked me recently what advice I have for someone graduating and taking off to a new place. I didn't have a good response at the time, but now I've figured it out. Become comfortable with doing things by yourself. Be ok to have days of self-reflection, to go out and eat alone, to go to a movie by yourself, to explore a gallery or museum. I think that thought would have scared me to death a year ago. But now, I'm comfortable with it. I live it. I'm proud of it.

So with all the personal complications going on, what better
to do than yarn? This is actually still the bamboo top (was my Stetson graduation top, is now my Maryland Sheep & Wool top). I'm having a wicked time trying to get a good picture of it. This one shows off the fiber and the beautiful way the yarn drapes.
This one kind of gives a better idea of the overall shape of the piece. I'm working on the band/belt for the bottom right now, but I realized that my tension has changed from when I started it to when I was crocheting it today (I guess what they say is true - you do take things out on the yarn), so I decided to put it aside until emotions subside a bit more.

I realized I've nelected to talk about another project I'm
working on. It's a simple tube-top. It's a braided-cable band around the top, then I picked up stitches on the wrong side and knit down (so that when it's turned right side out, it's the backside of the stitches (all the little purls). I knit down to under the bust line, with even decreases on the front side only; then I purled for 3 rows. When I started knitting again, I knit into the row above the purls (the last knit row), creating a little rib along under the bust. Now I'm back to knitting down the body of it. I haven't worked on it lately, I'm saving it for times when I need mindless knitting.

So this will be another weekend of exploring DC and doing a lot of the touristy things. My parents are coming to town! I'm SO excited to have them up here. We don't have many plans, but I'll be sure to take pictures along the way. I'm really looking forward to showing them around my new home, and am looking forward to introducing mom to the knitting group at Adega on Tuesday. The only bummer in this situation is that I have to clean, and finish a baby blanket (I'm only halfway done) by the time they come. I think sleep sounds better.

Last but not least, my shout-outs after this, at times, hellacious week; thank you: Amy for the homemade soup and bread, Kelsey for the late-night ear, Sara for the perspective and we're-both-bored-at-work emails and the M offer and there's always John, Emily for the coke - so delicious, Rosie for reaching out, Kerry for always being wonderful and caring Kerry, Nina for the asshole comment (I heard about it, I love it, I totally needed it), Sean for obviously not knowing what to say when I was "doing the girl thing" but for trying so hard anyway (and congrats on the new job!), Jeanne for the information that reassured me of what to do. My parents for being the amazing constant support in my life. Caroline for representing the nun's perspective. And lastly to Will, who will probably never read this, but deserves some recognition nonetheless, thank you for the good times and the experiences.

My mom once asked me why I had a blog, I think her words were "who really is going to read about what you had for dinner last night?" (she said it in a nice, just curious way). I realize how lucky I am to have all of you in my life who do read this to find out what I'm making, what I'm seeing, and what I'm doing. Thank you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Word.

Not to speak for Kelsey or anything, but I will anyway.

We're always here for you. Anytime. Whether we're close by, or a billion miles away.

Anonymous said...

Oh, also...I'm sorry I'm so awkward with trying to comfort someone!

Kelsey said...

i read it every day. because i stalk you. look out your window.

(also, love you!)

emmybear said...

You go girl...