Sunday, April 20, 2008

Holy Bike Butt

Spring-tastic
This week has been full of springtime activities: enjoying the weather and feeling good. A beautiful studio in Silver Spring was offering tester classes in yoga, so Emily and I decided to try one out. I forgot how amazing that yoga makes your body feel. I left feeling relaxed and peaceful, and totally hooked.

On Saturday, about a dozen of us went out to Georgetown on a biking trail that runs up to Northwest. Perfect weather, great company, fabulous time. We made it up to Bethesda, which was about 15 miles or so (helloooo bike butt). One of the highlights was when we were on the trail (in the middle of the woods somewhere) trying to find the next rest stop for lunch, and Jason whipped out his GPS to figure out where we were and where the lake might be. Nothing says nature like positional tracking technology.

Saturday night Kelsey, Sean and I found Bay Cafe in Baltimore. We were able to sit on the patio and enjoy the steady breeze coming right off the water (you can see the lights in the bay behind us). Being a new Marylander, I thought it my duty to try the crabcakes we're so famous for. What can I say, I'm a New Englander at heart; and I could never trade Maine lobster for Maryland crab.

Heidi 2, Orchids 0. On to round 3...
My father is a talented Orchid-tender. He has dozens of orchids of all varieties; they're beautiful and thriving. This is a skill that I clearly have not inherited. I have ruined two orchids to date, but I continue to be drawn to them. I'm giving it another shot.



Between IKEA, Home Depot, and a little living room gardening, I now also have some flower boxes in the living room. Aren't they so perky? They're mostly marigolds (I love the smell of marigolds), but also some bagonias and salvias.





Green Glasses ReMix
My last Florida trip, fun as it was, turned out to be a black hole that claimed or destroyed a number of things near and dear. One of those things was my green glasses. After some weeks of blindness and searching for new ones, I've finally found a suitable replacement. They have a lot of the charms of my old glasses, but are new and improved with slight changes (who knew glasses could be such a metaphor for life). So here are my new glasses and new hair - back to natural for now.

Shrink This
After scouring the local craft shop, Amy and Emily picked shrinky-dinks for this week's craft night. Along with missing a lot of "classic" television shows (we were outdoorsy kids), evidently I also missed out on shrinky-dinks the first time around. We made up for it on Thursday with fun, adult shrinky-dinks. We each made some jewelry charms and assorted accessories. The overall favorite, though, had to be customized stitch markers. Amy and Emily both made more advanced ones for themselves (check out Emily's play by play); but since I don't really use patterns, I made simple increase and decrease ones. Here's one helping out with a project I just started this afternoon (hanging from a little ring on the needle, it says increase here!)

No comments: