Friday, February 22, 2008

Snow Day! and New Reads

Today was my first snow day in, well, 17 years I suppose - I'm guessing I had a snow day or two up in New Hampshire before I moved. Anyway, Maryland and DC shut down in preparation for the "crazy storm", and I got the call at 6am from boss lady. I changed the school's phones to say that we're close and happily went back to sleep :)

The "crazy storm" seemed to fizzle out to a rather non-event. There was a lot of ice on everything, but it wasn't the wintry mix and ice storm that it was cracked up to be. I finished up the light blue lacy scarf I was working on. I went to see Fool's Gold. I finally unpacked my suitcases from Florida. I fiddled around with starting some new projects. Basically a whole lot of unproductiveness - which was beautiful.

So this week at Borders I decided to start my knitting book
collection. I picked out these two gems. Interwined is sooo amazing! It's a book about spinning crazy yarns out of different materials. The resulting fibers are spectacular. It's really inspired me to look into spinning. I think I might tackle dyeing yarn first, to work my way up to spinning. But the whole idea of making the fibers before knitting or crocheting with them is so appealing.

The other book I picked out is Super Stitches Knitting. It is a whole book on different stitch patterns. As anti-pattern (directions, etc) an I am, I thought this one would be a good compromise. It shows you how to make cool effects with the yarns, but I can still do the garment on my own. I started trying out a leafy pattern, but haven't figured out the right project to use it for.


Andy the apartment-mate returns tonight. I'm heading up to Sean-and-Kelsey-apartment tomorrow for some yarning and a show. Hopefully I'll get some pictures of Kelsey's projects and post up her creations!

No comments: