Thursday, February 7, 2008

Next time you see this, it'll be a rug

Last night was creation night at Amy's. We created delicious s'mores, enjoyed other snacks and beverages, and then got down to business. This week Emily was showing us how to cut fabric into strips and crochet a rug with it. The cutting probably takes twice as long as the actual crocheting, but the final product is totally worth it! I used 8 yards of fabric in total - 2 of each of my 4 colors. I cut them into small, 3/4 to 1" strips, but you can do it larger. Hopefully Amy or Emily will post up pictures on their blogs (check out the links on the right of my page). They have some shots from last night when we were really in the action. My camera was MIA last night.
So here is the very beginning of the rug. I still have the beige to strip, but my hand is kinda swollen in the scissor-operating areas. Using a super huge hook, this goes really fast in a triple-crochet.

So I thought I'd finally show off some of my goodies from Crafts and Kisses. I apologize, I don't have the artists/vendor information handy to share. But I got this really sweet grey on grey shirt. It's really comfortable and super cute. It was definitely a hit with our group - Kelsey, Amelia, and I all ended up with stuff from the woman.

I also got this leather cuff. The guy who makes these uses all recycled materials - most of them leather belts. Some were more intricate and decorative than others, but I like the simple olive green with contrasting stitching. Sean got a really sweet belt and robot moleskin; Kelsey got some cool earrings and a cuff as well. Other goods were purchased, but I'm not remembering the full list right now. Overall - the fair was a great find! As was Busboys and Poets, a fun little cafe/bookstore.

So I'm still working on the Gregory-scarf. I'm doing it in a simple 1 by 1 rib that makes it stretchy and soft. I'm enjoying the yarn and the final product, but it is taking a lot of patience for the repetitiveness.

I have one more project that I've just started. I'm using Lamb's Pride in pistachio to start a cardigan of some sort. I'm working a lot of it in seed-stitch, but am trying a design in stocking. Pictures to come.

Sara is coming into town tomorrow! Woohoo! I'm so excited for us to ravage the city. She is newly employed by the Georgia State Department of Health and finally going to make it onto a plane to come up here (stupid planes got canceled last time for "ice storms", lame).

As much as I love my new place of living, there are definitely moments when it feels lonely to be in a totally new place without any of my usual support system and familiar faces. I'm meeting some great new people, but I'm also missing alot of great people. This week, Stetson is again going through some tough situations. I'm sad to know what the community is going through there. Send some good energy that way.

1 comment:

tanya m said...

(This is Tanya) I linked to you and the others in my blog. Just to let ya know.