Anyway, the cold weather this weekend gave me a great excuse to stay in and make stuff.
I think I've already posted up most of my projects, but this one is a book I made. One of my only attempts at bookmaking. I used old paper from the office set for recycling.
I folded them all in half (hamburger style, not hotdog) so that the text was on the inside and tore them off at about 5 1/2". You can make it any size or shape, I just went for a simple square. I lined up all of the creases one one side, and then clamped together the opposite end. Then I slathered on a few layers of Elmers for my quickie-binding. It takes about 20 minutes or so for each layer to dry if you really douse it in glue.
For the cover I used plastic bags. I used a fun patterned one from World Market for the outside and a plain brown Publix for the inside. I folded each bag in half (hamburger) so that it was a pretty large piece in the end. You can also fold it in quarters (hotdog, hotdog) and make strips from it. Anyway, I didn't need this to be too thick, so I put the halved bags on top of eachother between two sheets of vellum (you can use wax paper or parchment as well, but I find it sticks to the plastic) and ironed. The iron has to be on the highest setting for this to work well. I just move the iron around constantly until you can start to see the plastic through the vellum - then you know it's melting.
Because I only had essentially 4 layers of plastic, some of it crinkles up under the heat creating little holes in the plastic. If you have more layers it won't get holey.
Ta-da!
It's surprisingly durable.
Tonight I'm off to Adega for the SSK circle.
1 comment:
That's a pretty cool little book you made. You should bring it down when you come home.
Post a Comment