Thursday was my day of orientation at grad school. I concede that having spent the last 6 years in the business of orienting people to an institution, I am a bit of a critic. But wow. This clearly isn't their area of exceptional strength. Buuut, there is something to be said for ending the day with a glass of wine and shooting the shit with your professors and dean. I stuck with some of my ID intro buddies from this summer and we laughed our way through most of the day. It was the eve of Sarah's birthday, so Michael and I decided to go out with her for a little celebration. After a solid 45 minutes of trekking around the area and moving the vehicle along the way, we finally headed towards Dupont Circle. I warned of terrible service, but we decided to brave Brickskeller's anyway. The service was all I expected and worse. A shame... the venue has such potential.
On the train ride home, as Michael parted at Fort Totten, I met the eyes of a familiar face: the Chaplain from Walter Reed who helped us kick ass at trivia a few weeks ago! To the tunes of Up On Crippled Creek (my signature song at the QH), we grabbed a beverage and talked life. There were even moments reminiscent of conversing with Chap Fronk when "is he really a Chaplain?" ran through my mind.
A Happy Ending.
Friday was a pretty awful day, having more than one moment of sitting at my desk with tears streaming down my face. Just as it was looking like the night wasn't going to improve, I ended up at Will's new place in Columbia Heights for an unexpected and unexpectedly nice evening. "You can come meet my new TFA friends" wasn't much of a hook, but I wanted to return his car key and wanted to give the whole thing a fair chance; they turned out to be pretty chill individuals, unlike the general reputation that I've heard about.

It pains me to say, er, I mean, I'm really happy that Will has found the dream townhouse...complete with an exposed brick wall and a rooftop hangout looking over the D of C with a 2" Washington monument in the distance.

The roof is a place of incredible peace. After a hellacious day (ok... week), chatting with an old friend was perfection.

Thinking back on the general condition of the building and the fact that I was sitting on a lip that stuck out about a foot past the building, this probably wasn't the wisest place to hang out and take pictures. Will just hoped I didn't fall because surely he would get blamed for pushing me off the edge. Um. Thanks for the concern...?

All cheap shots aside, it was nice to bring that tumultuous relationship to a peaceful resolve.

This officially marks the beginning of my countdown to when my lease will be over and I can move into the city. SS has been a wonderful transition place for me, allowing me to dip my big toe in the shallow end. No hard feelings, it has it's little charms; but I'm ready to jump in with the big kids.
More to come soon about my weekend adventures in the Sunshine State. But Vladimir and some Cascade 220 are winning my attention now. Cheers!
No comments:
Post a Comment