Monday, September 29, 2008

Crafty Bastards, DC.

Movie Magic and a Museum.
A rainy Friday brought a quintessential date night: dinner and a movie featuring Burn After Reading. Mixed reviews. It was funny, but not quite as captivating as one would expect from a Cohen brothers film.

Saturday was another rainy day, but I ventured out to meet up with a Stetson friend, Darash. I hadn't been to Busboys and Poets in months, and he had never been, so we decided it would be a nice place to spend the afternoon.
The Portrait Gallery/American Art Museum seems to be my default whenever it's time to visit a gallery.

I was pleasantly surprised to see a new rotation of work in the contemporary section.
Some beautiful stained glass work that reminded me of an exhibition we stumbled upon one day on the Chicago pier.

And some old favorites...

I've been a bad girl about carrying my camera around lately, losing opportunities to document incredible moments. But Saturday night was a truly memorable night, only heightened by it's unintentional manner. On the fly I met up with Brad and Melvin at E Street Cinema for The Duchess. Fantastic theatre, fantastic film. I think I might have actually misted a little bit, it was that powerful. Brad was house sitting out in Georgetown, so we headed that way. A series of events followed that brought us to enjoying a bottle of wine and conversation in an incredible house just off M street with a group of fantastic guys, from Uruguay, Ethiopia, and Argentina. If the house was transported to Europe, the night could have been ripped from the pages of a Hemingway. We ended up all crashing in the numerous elegant bedrooms and awoke the next morning to Melvin cooking breakfast and more conversation.

Torn between being engrossed in the moment and eager to get to Crafty Bastards, I finally made it home and back to Adams Morgan just in time for some more rain. First stop was to pick up a new book from Kramer's - a cute little book shop and cafe in Dupont that Brad and Melvin had raved about.

Adorable. And I found a really good book:
Crafty Bastards.
I have to admit a little disappointment while walking around Crafty Bastards. Having been to a half dozen other crafty-type fairs since February, it's becoming more and more difficult to sift through the same booths and same products. But there were a few vendors who continue to come out with new designs each time. I surprised even myself and didn't get anything from Red Prairie Press. But I did walk away with two shirts from MaryInk:


And one more from another woman who's name escapes me at the moment:

Jon Wye was Mr. Popular - every time I tried to visit they were slammed with people. I should note - Jon is one of the few who continues to come out with new designs each time. Here he is, workin the sale ;)
And Keith. Exhausted but still smiling.
Speaking of, I forgot to show off some of the other cool stuff I got when I visited his studio: a cuff and a keychain. And a bunch of leather punchouts that I made into a necklace (not yet photographed)
Some beautiful merino/mohair wool in fall foliage colors came home with me as well. It's currently on it's way to becoming another scarf.
Late afternoon and Melvin's breakfast was wearing off, so Brad and I tried out Tryst, by the same owners as The Diner.

The food was fantastic! The best Tomato/basil/mozzarella/EVOO on rosemary focaccia! And a sampling of an organic nut brown ale. Also delicious.

We meandered back down to Crafty Bastards for the B Boy finals - a nice little dance off between the two final groups. You can kind of see the dude in the maroon pants busting out.
Meeting up with Danny, Tiffany, and one of Danny's friends for a few minutes to enjoy watching the dancing.


This week: Mason Jennings and lots of other folky events. I might even have to bust out some flannel (psych!)

No comments: