
This weekend brought Tropical Storm Hanna, which turned out to be a lovely backdrop to a day of reading and knitting. By Saturday afternoon it was finally time to accept the storm was mostly a fizzle and venture out; I'm glad someone decided to water the grass in the middle of the tropical storm. Along with the sprinklers going off in the middle of DC's Independence Day parade, I'm brought back to that awesome Jack Johnson NightCap. when facilities forgot our request to have the sprinklers turned off and they exploded mid-way through the event. Sara and I becoming human shields for the projector, laptop, and sound equipment, others tossing coolers and garbage cans over the sprinkler heads while the students fled from their cozy blankets in the grass. Tiki torches and citrinella candles being extinguished by the midnight sprinkling. It was a lovely night, indeed.

Saturday night is without documentation, but I finally made it back up to Baltimore, taking the dark one with me by way of the College Park Diner (yum) for a night of fun with Kelsey and Sean.
Food and Yarn.
Sunday means Farmer's Market day, so I stopped by the Takoma Park one to stock up. Fresh bread, eggs, ground beef, and cookies...the staples. Those things aren't very photogenic, though, so here are some nice peppers for your visual buffet.

Somewhere in the middle of the day we ended up doing an unintentional tour of Arlington. Still not too sure how that happened, but Arlington looks pretty cool. It's so close and yet I never make it out there.Later that night Leah came over so that I could teach her how to crochet (luckily she is of the same "eh, just wing it and do what looks right" mentality, so my teaching style was actually successful. I believe Em was shaking her head and laughing a good portion of the time that I was explaining it to Leah.) The roommates joined and we did make-your-own-pizza night and sat around knitting, crocheting, and chatting. I also replicated the blueberry basil nameless drink from last weekend just to make sure it was still good; and...yup...still delicious.
Mostly I was working on my pea soup and dirt cardigan (endless seed stitch), but then I started a little scarf with some ugly blue cashmere in my stitch. It's not really ugly, I'm just finicky about blues. Tiny lace-weight yarn is a delight to metro travel with, but not as delightful to make progress in a garment with. The color is a smidgen darker than pictured here.
You can get a peek at how the yarn makes the stitch in this image.
It slipped my mind to talk about one other small project that I did, this Celtic knot necklace. The knot is a black material that is a texture similar to that of bog, and it's strung up with wooden beads.
And it was all Yellow.
For a Monday it was a pretty decent day. Mid-day I had some errands to run, so I was able to walk around enjoying the lovely weather on Capitol Hill and Eastern Market.
I stole away a few moments to stop by Capitol Hill Books, picking up a few more books to add to the queue. 
As I was leaving work I found this delightful decoration that had been added to the fence. I hope it stays up all year.

I took the last available seat on the metro and was pleasantly surprised to note my monochromatic day. I hope lines of a particular Coldplay song are running through your head at the moment.

To top off a wildly decent day, our team did surprisingly well at trivia night, though we defer the best team name to "Sarah Palin Supports the Drilling of her Teenage Daughter's Wetlands". Awesome.

No comments:
Post a Comment