Friday, September 5, 2008

Mouse Trap.


While in Florida I discovered a new yarn: Paton's stretchy sock yarn. I've resisted delving into the world of knitting socks, but I thought it would be good for some fingerless mittens. It was surprisingly easy to work with. I wouldn't recommend it for beginners, the stretchiness would cause problems if you have inconsistent tension. But that is my only qualm with it, otherwise it is a really good yarn for something like gloves: it allows you to pull the cloth tight in around the wrists without causing you to do crazy contortions to get them on or off.

I started at the fingers and worked down in a single crochet. It ended up being a little bigger than I hoped. The yarn has a good portion that is wool and cotton, so maybe I can figure out a way to shrink it a little?
In my early-morning packing, I foolishly only brought one skein of yarn with me to Florida. I started a little cardigan with this Cascade 220 in a pea soup color, but couldn't get too far. The top portion is in 1 by 1 rib.

I have been able to pick it back up some this week and work on some of the body in the dirt color. I'm quickly realizing why people don't tend to do large sections of seed stitch. I love the look, but good god it's a pain in the ass to do. (The sleeves are still live stitches to pick up and work down into long sleeves eventually)

I got a lot of that done on my first bus ride. Yes, somehow in my first 9 months of living here I've managed to avoid the buses of the district of columbia. It was an interesting experience. I knit away as a large woman in a lime green linen top with embroidered butterflies sat on me. Excuse me ma'am, the seat doesn't have a big bump in it, that's actually 6" of my thigh getting squished and it's getting a little sore. At one point our bus was pulled over, the driver reprimanded for being too slow, then switched with a different driver as another bus was unloaded and added to our already full bus, then we drove 10 seconds up the road with our new fast driver and got stuck in a traffic jam for the next 30 minutes. Awesome. And the lime linen woman was still on me.

The Circulator on the way home was a much better experience.

Mouse Trap.
Great game when it's in the form of a board and plastic trinkets, not as much fun with it's being played in your bathroom. After a late night of getting back from one of my first classes yesterday, I ended up picking through a pile of stuff in Vara's room trying to "get" whatever mystery thing was causing them to stand on the bed shrieking and throwing stuff at the mysterious specimen. It turned out to be a mouse. A cute, tiny little mouse, but a mouse nonetheless. In a midnight offensive, I managed to chase it into the bathroom and trap him in there. What next? Nothing. Long story short, the mouse is still at large, trapped in the bathroom. Despite our many attempts to get him, he has eluded capture thus far. The current contraption involves a trash can, a balsa wood ramp, a piece of card stock, and some cheese. I'm hopeful.

Thanks to Will for making the trek up to SS to try to eradicate our elusive mouse. No thanks to Ringo for being a fat cat who lets mice roam around our apartment. You should be embarrassed.

No comments: