Monday, March 2, 2009

Avocado + greyscale tabby weave.

We had a mini-project to play with a regular tabby for my textiles class; to design a simple tabby in three colorways. The main one, to match the interior that I'm working on, is an avocado and gray with the occasional extra color introduced. This is just floss, but the design is actually wool and includes a hand-spun fiber that has pieces of newspaper and magazine - which is where the spots of random color come in.

I also picked a burnt squash

and an eggplant

What fun is playing around with graph paper if you can't see what it would actaully look like? So I cut up a cardboard box and rigged up a little loom. Then I took little pieces of cardboard and made them into make-shift shuttles.

Better in theory than actuality, though. Not having the shafts to lift like an actual loom, this tiny piece of fabric took foreeever.

A few hours (and many episodes of Californication) later, and here is my final board with the weave pattern, and the color instructions for the warp and weft threads.

In perfect timing, my parents dug up this little blast from my New Hampshire past when they heard I was taking a textile class and sent it up this past weekend. Little did they know what a fiber freak they had on their hands...
Hm..I could have used that loom this semester...

No comments: