Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Gettin' my Martha Stewart on.

Girl, you so crafty.
Monday I got home late with work, homework, and baking staring me in the face. But I decided to cast responsibilities aside for an hour and spend some quality time with a chunk of wood and some paint. I picked up this little 9-drawer unit from IKEA a year ago. It seemed like a great idea until I got home and remembered that IKEA = self assembly. 9 drawers didn't seem like such a great idea anymore.
So it sat in the box under my bed for a year until I moved last weekend. It was time to address this project. I tossed the directions and nails aside, caulked the thing together, and then broke out the paint brushes...resulting in this. It's great for jewelry and all of the junk that usually clutters up my bureau-top.

Conecakes.
On Wednesdays I go hang out with the Kindergarten - a spectacular mix of gross, adorable, and he-doesn't-even-realize-how-funny-that-was moments. To celebrate the nearing of the end of a year of our weekly gatherings, I decided to make a little treat. So I went home and got my Martha Stewart on in the kitchen - making these little treats one of the kindergartners dubbed 'conecakes'

To make these delectable treats, first go to the grocery store with your health-obsessed beau and pick up all of the gross things you can find...cake mix, frosting, ice cream cones, chocolate chips...

Go home and pour a glass of wine.

Mix the cake mix and fill the cones 2/3rds of the way with cake batter. (this is my recommendation. Instead, I filled them almost all the way, resulting in a bit of an explosion - totally wiping my new roommates' hopes of having a female in the house who knows how to bake them lots of yummy treats)

Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes while sipping on some wine and cooking some chicken for dinner.

Let cool.

Frost generously to cover up the explosions and tipovers. Unfortunately the batter and baking process yields in a mushy cone that is somewhat less than stable. But kids don't really care about how they look anyway.

Despite a few transportation issues, the conecakes were still a hit with the little ones.


5 comments:

Sean said...

I love that you just glued the ikea drawer thing together instead of actually using any of the connectors it gives you, haha! What happens if you ever need to take the thing apart?!

Heidi said...

pssshhh... worked like a charm! They're only small drawers, maybe 3" x 4" x 8". It doesn't take much to keep them together. I did screw together the outside part.

Trish said...

Firstly: Awesome fix on the Ikea drawers! Yes, you have to put together everything. Even their napkin holders.

Secondly: Cake MIX?! Really?! Shame, shame!

Thirdly: AWESOME job on the frosting. (And I love the colors)

Heidi said...

for shame for sure. But me baking is a big enough step.

You would be more approving of the desserts I made for a staff lunch the other day... puff pastry triangles topped with a mix of berries and (real!) whipped cream; then I made little mini pies in a cupcake pan and filled them with chocolate mousse and a raspberry. I have a dime-sized blister to prove my oven time :)

Trish said...

I'm so impressed and proud! Look at you, using real whipped cream! ;)