Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I'm on a boat.

First of all, you must watch this SNL video to appreciate the whole "I'm on a Boat" phenomenon. Seanius Maximus introduced me to this fine video a few months ago, but I came to really appreciate it when we had a surprise party for him last weekend, with the theme of that video. In prefect juxtaposition, this weekend I really was on a boat!

One of my Corcoran classmates is like a real person - grown up and settled with a husband and a boat. She offered to take a group of us out for a little cruise around the Potomac to kick off boating season, summer, and no more class (for exactly 4 days until I stared back for summer classes. damn.) Here's the Captain and his wife.

As we cruised up the Potomac to see some of the DC icons by water. Here is the Kennedy Center

And the Lincoln Memorial and Washington Monument.

Then we kicked back, nibbled, sipped, and made our way down the river. Here is Lizzie midway through her sip, sip, hooray of an afternoon...

And the adorable Trish and Stew. After the beau has played good doobie for a lot of events with my friends and family lately, it was a relief to meet Stew and his equally fratastic two buddies who came along...a social sanctuary for the beau left adrift in a sea of artsy folk.

We made our way to Mt. Vernon and then anchored to grill out. As the boys stood around the grill talking about meat and struggling to keep the flame alive, we started up the blender for some raspberry ritas. Mmmmm. 'just keep grillin, boys! let us know when dinner is ready' (sip sip sip)

It was great to be back out on the water. Even though it's not ocean, and this Florida girl loves her some ocean, it was a perfect day out. Sunshine, cool breeze, great company, good food, and plenty of booze. What more could you ask for?

Eventually we pulled the anchor and made our way back north, passing Old Town
and...um...other parts of Virginia.

I'm on a...UHAUL? (yea, that doesn't have the same ring to it)
After play day on Saturday, Sunday was moving day. Fueled with a breakfast from Mark's Kitchen, I captained the UHAUL to Silver Spring to begin the moving process. Unfortunately I spent most of the day on the packing process, not actually getting the truck southbound until almost 8.

Moving is one of the most interesting experiences to have with a significant other.

The frustration...
Heidi: "I'm just throwing everything away."
Rich: "I'm a fan of that idea."

The annoyance...
Rich: "wow, you got a lot done; how long was I asleep?"

The we're-so-tired-we're-cookey...
Rich: "these things are so cool"...as he pushes a tampon out of the applicator and swings it around by the string. This after I spent 15 minutes collecting all of the items from my bathroom/beauty box that somehow exploded between Silver Spring and Capitol Hill...we're talking finding tampons, bobby pins, and travel toothbrushes in every box and under every part of my disassembled furniture. I have no doubt that the next users of the UHAUL will also get a funny little surprise.

The hulk out...
Heidi: "babe, that bin has at least 100 books in it. Remember it took both of us to lift it onto the bellboy cart?"
Rich: "I'll just pretend it's a workout"....as he lifts the box and literally sprints across the back yard and up the two flights of stairs to my room.

Eventually it all got unloaded and into my room.

And Ringo slumbered after the tiring day of moving.

No comments: