Monday, April 6, 2009

Blossoming.

At long last Spring has arrived to the District. Thankfully we have beautiful blossoms to distract us as the pasty white wintery skin is starting to emerge from under the sweaters and jackets and we venture into the 70's.

Last week the warmer temperatures were foiled by the relentless rain, but Friday rolled around with all of it's playing-hookie-alluring-sunshine. After work I took my book and camera out for a stroll around the hill. Seemingly overnight all of the neighbors had planted their springtime gardens.

The Capitol grounds and the Botanical Gardens are becoming quite spring-tastic.

And we were in the middle of the 4-day peak of our beloved cherry blossoms.


I did my tidal basin cherry blossom time last year, and decided that there was no need to join the million tourists down at that end of the mall. So I hung out around the Capitol.

It's hard to see, but the clouds broke a bit and there was a beautiful rainbow behind the building.

So I laid in the grass and read for a while. The weather was beautiful and the view wasn't half bad up behind me.

Hello cellulosic fibers.
The warming temperatures, even if only temporary, seem to ignite this urge in me to drop anything animal and switch over to only cellulosic fibers. hello my old friend, cotton....

So I stopped by Stitch DC the other day and picked up two skeins of something that I would never usually pick up. But it was made by Noro and it was one of the only cottons they had; deep down in the polyester blend ugliness I saw a glimmer of potential. It turned out to be a little frog prince because as soon as it was knitted up and wrapped around my neck, it became the source of many compliments.

I guess I wasn't the only one feeling the springtime knit-itch, because the roommates also wanted to take an adventure out to A Tangled Skein - our closest yarn shop that happens to have the biggest and best stash that I've found in DC. AND they were having a sale. We loaded up and discovered that we each had a few hours before the next commitment, so we picked up some margarita mix and had an impromptu margarita knitting afternoon.

Emily was cracking us up as she busted out the graph paper and markers to figure out her pattern. She's clearly the organized one of the bunch... (I can only imagine that the pattern got better with every sip)

I added some more patagonia cotton to my stash, along with some yarn made of 100% corn (couldn't resist) and a cotton that is tie-dyed. Courtesy of big needles, our margarita knitting, and some episodes of Californication with the beau yesterday, the tie-dye cotton became a scarf:

And now I'm in denial about the weather report that says the temperatures are dropping and the rain is retuning tomorrow. I will just sit here with my Groove Salad and savor the memory of yesterday....a cozy morning, followed by an amazing breakfast with Kelsey and Sean at - Pete's Grill in Baltimore - a place Rich has been raving about forever, and then laying in the sun in Folger park, avoiding my homework.

No comments: