Friday, December 19, 2008

Season for Giving (Scarves)

The (second) best part of giving gifts is that I can finally post up pictures of them! Though I have been a neglectful crafter of sorts, I have also been slacking with the crafting posts because they're all secrets!

Here is a scarf, made with two skeins of Sublime merino/cashmere/silk in a miss piggy pink. It is doubled-up in the picture, so it's actually quite long. This is a replica of the first scarf I made last year in light blue, also for Martha, when I discovered that I had (accidentally - er- I mean - totally intentionally) made a new stitch.

The first project I finished was a scarf for Jon. I worked on it a lot on the plane ride to Florida, until we boarded the prop plane; I had to set it aside to keep from ruining it as my tension became way off. In a twist of irony (as I am perpetually nagging him about documenting his stuff) I never got a picture of it. But I will, and in the meantime here is the giftwrap design for this year. I try to do something a little different each year. It usually centers around green, this year it is green in nature rather than color, as I'm using all "trash" materials. Usually a paper bag or a neutral paper material for the main wrapping, with letters cut out from magazine ads.

Next up: for David who brings me coffee most afternoons. I made this with some blue sky alpaca wool in a burgundy and slate gray (this photo isn't quite true to color). It's a big bulky yarn that is incredibly soft and a dream to knit with. This one is also doubled over in the photograph, so it is quite long.

And lastly a little scarfette I made for a new coworker who has been having a bit of a hard time lately (to say it lightly). It's from Karabella auora (merino wool) in a raspberry color. I did this one with the hole part-way down to allow one end to slip through the other instead of knot. It was a last-minute addition to the queue, so I finished this about 2 seconds before I ran out the door to work (note the sleepy eyes after another Jon work party night)

It's Friday which means three really fantastic things: I'm done with all of my finals; I am about to leave work (not to return until January 5th!); and Christmas orders with Jon have to be about done (come on people, shop EARLIER). That means the next few days will be devoted to following through on my pledge to do a homemade holiday and generally unwinding a bit. Happy holiday season to all!

No comments: