Saturday, December 13, 2008

O Christmas Tree.

At long last it's time to finish my catch-up posting. Let's throw it back a few weekends; back to Florida. Usually we wait until after mom's birthday to go into full Christmas mode, but dad refused to chance having to pick out the tree alone again this year, so we adventured off to the Cape in search of the perfect Christmas tree. Of course, none will be as perfect as the buddha tree I found a few years ago but couldn't convince my parents to get. It was the cutest thing - as tall as it was wide, like a big fat buddha.

After a required stop-off at Michael's en route to the trees, we were greeted by an infamous "no name storm". Hurricanes and tropical storms are one thing - but at least you are prepared. But on occasion some giant swell of terrible weather appears and strikes with no warning. Coming out of the store - that's when it struck. The winds raced and the skies opened up....perfect time to pick out a tree..right? We weren't afforded that option, as we arrived to find the tent nearly completely collapsed.

Luckily no one seemed to be inside, but it was nuts to see the giant support poles jabbed through the collapsed tent and flapping in the wind.

Eventually we found another tent that was still in tact. We played around with some of the giant trees
but settled on this moderate one.
Packed it up and then went to enjoy some Cold Stone. Yum!
I more than made up for the ease of travel south on Thanksgiving Eve, as my attempt to get home on Monday was thwarted with a bevy of flight delays and cancellations. My first flight was canceled but they went ahead and booked me one one midday the next day (I ask you, who would that ever work for?) setting off a chain of lots of driving (thanks dad!) lots of conversations with desk agents, and an eventual track home.

Just in time for Twensday!

This week's major task: tagging shirts. I'm sure we did some other fun things, but at this point it was a while ago and my memory tends to tread close to amnesia - so I can only talk about things that I remember via documentation :)

First Jon had to show me the sweet one-piece snow suit he acquired for the Downtown Holiday Market (the one where he stands outside from noon to eight every day in the December cold).

I tested it out, just to see if it was really as toasty and he boasted (it was!)

We ventured over to his childhood buddy's house to meet up with Adam (from apple picking) and Brian (from Squidfire) for boys' night (I grew a penis for the occasion, obviously) of burnt pizza (thanks to Jon's awesome cooking skills and Brain's insanely fast oven) Wii and scotch.

Then it was work time. The Wye house is perpetually cold, so Jon appeased me by lighting a fire as we settled in for tagging.
Yes... all of these

go onto these. That's a lot of shirts.

Morning broke and I was able to take advantage of the workshop to drill some holes into plexi for a presentation board I was working on. With most of my power tools still in Florida (I still ask myself why those weren't the very first things loaded into my car!), it was a relief to have access to tools again. I finally encountered someone with more experience drilling into
plexi than I had (I went on a stint with it with a few photo and silk screening series back in the day), so he worked the drill. Thanks Jon!
Phew! Finally up to date.

Happy last-minute shopping (or crafting) for the holidays! Did I mention I'm doing an entirely hand-made holiday this year? Wish me speedy hands and lots of luck!

No comments: