Friday, November 21, 2008

Will Work for Tshirts.

With all of the knitting/crocheting/crafting projects going into secret mode, reading time still devoted to Lolita, and me having wavering feelings about how this blog seems to have turned into more of a public journal, the content pool for posts has been dwindling. But there are a few new things to report on and promises for more after this weekend's mini-adventure to New York Town. I finally went back to face the mess I had made of my "white" room, and finished it up this week.
On the way to class on Wednesday, I was lucky enough to experience a magnificent Washington dusk. Even though it was barely 4:00, the sunlight was beginning to abate, creating a beautiful ambiance around the tidal basin and monument area. Though I was stuck driving a car during this time, I snapped a quick shot at a red light.

The Boob Post.

Some have wondered why I'm doing this internship with Jon. I'm not a fashion designer, I'm not a marketer, I'm not a leather worker, I'm not raking in the dough, and I'm not making out with him. So why am I spending every Tuesday night doing this? Fair question. Because it's a good thing and I believe in what he's doing. In the short time that I've played intern, I've learned a ton about leather, printing, and finishing - new areas that I've had no experience with. As well, I'm picking up a lot of other tips about photographing, web work, design and general practices for running a small business. Jon's brain functions in a way that is like a drug to be around - he's an inventor and an artist, and has successfully melded the two into producing something pretty cool. Now that I think about it, his inventiveness and creativity remind me a lot of that of my dad. Those who consider themselves to be artists or spend time around artists can attest to the fact that being creative AND able to function in a productive way is a rare characteristic.


He's also a kid with a good idea who threw all caution to the wind, jumping into the deep end because it's something he's passionate about. That is something that also is rare and refreshing, and I'm excited to be able to play even a small role in that story. Spending a night helping a project like this is a lot better than sitting on the couch catching up on this week's episode of The Hills.

Plus I get to expand my collection of awesome shirts (and start one of belts). A lot of these are from the stash of early shirts. So here's the disclaimer... I wanted to show off the shirts, it just so happened that shirts look better on a person rather than on the couch, and my face was starting to reflect hour 32 of consciousness... so please ignore the boob shots. It reminds me of this photo series that Juls did at Stetson. He went around photographing people's clothing, inevitably ending up with a collection of boob shots he claimed as making a statement about fashion. Mhmmmm... :)


Pickle surprise! (not to be confused with Medieval Times)
Baby Doll. Wow, another throw-back to Stetson days when Jack did a semester or so stint of altering dolls. One was particularly freaky (I forget her name) and we convinced Juls to serenade her with a little Flaming Lips ::do you realize...that you have the most beautiful face::
Not-so-abominable.
Restaurant Week? How Did I Miss THAT?

Apparently this week was a tamed-down version of Restaurant Week? I guess I missed that memo. Which is quite unfortunate because food is one of my new favorite things. But I happened upon it at Asia Nine, an awesome restaurant close to the E Street Cinema that I've been wanting to try. Though neither of us ended up getting the special menu, it was still nice to have a meal out at a nice restaurant. I finally got a fix for my sushi craving this week -- eel and avocado, yum! And caught up on good conversation with Will, who is surviving his first year of teaching and successfully navigating through all of life's oddities.


Happy Birthday, Trish!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

want a shirt?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bulius/3060711759/