Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Ice Cream is Better in Space.

Birthday Scarf.
I'm a saver. I find things and stash them away for "the perfect project". This project may or may not ever come around. Luckily I found a project for some beautiful variegated wool that I got in Chicago years ago - before I knew that buying just one skein is not a good idea unless there is a specific project in mind. After many projects started and frogged, I finally arrived at a suitable use for this beautiful yarn - a scarf for Jackie's Birthday!

I employed my stitch (shocking) and tried a new technique - making a slit in one side to pass the other side through. Here she is modeling it after her birthday extravaganza. Joyeux anniversaire, Jackie!

Happy Twensday.
No plague could keep me away from a Twensday, so I arrived at Jon's to dive into inventory and other assorted fun activities. Much to the excitement of his housemates, we took over the dining room with boxes and bins and loads of shirts. My EBT191 skills went to work in Excel, and a few hours later we had an accurate count of all of the shirts, broken down into sizes, colors, gender, styles, etc. Just in time to figure out re-orders for the Holiday Market!

As the yummy fuel for the evening, Jon ordered pizzas from Bistro Italiano - his claim as the best pizza in DC. Pizza and Moroccan mint tea and we were fueled for another few hours.

Insert some Fred play, as he is the third leg of the triangle that makes Twensdays oh-so-special.

Next up was a brainstorming session about an upcoming addition to the website. Somehow wardrobe changes fit into this new surprise, so Jon took this opportunity to show off some of the gems that he had accumulated, tailored, or created over the years. Such as this beautiful evening blue jacket.

Meanwhile I dabbled with the crochet hook and some sock yarn, making it as far as a big toe warmer before deciding that there is a reason I don't use sock yarn.

Fred tried it on too, right before he tried to eat it.

Naturally, it was time for us to eat again. This time was a real treat...astronaut ice cream. Astronaut ice cream? you ask. Yes. It's pretty much amazingness that melts in your mouth. It's freeze-dried and put in this little package. It's room-temperature (no brain freeze!) and brittle, but then dissolves into delicious flavors of chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry. I surely wouldn't do it justice trying to describe it, so I recommend ordering some or picking it up at the Air and Space Museum.

The brainstorm dwindled, my antibiotics surely tuckered me out, and I conked out somewhere around 3. A power nap. OK. A teensy bit longer than a power nap. But we had a pretty productive night up to that point, so I think it was ok.

The sun started to rise and DC began to awaken. I love the light of a winter morning as it cascades across the buildings and streets.

The morning light also means that Jon makes breakfast to celebrate the end to another Twensday work night. This week's special: blueberry waffles. Oh-so-delicious blueberry waffles, to be more specific. With real maple syrup, of course.

Now it's time to finish fixing my all-white interior before class tonight. Cross your fingers for more snow this week!! :)

No comments: