Sunday, March 9, 2008

"Girl, You So Crafty" -M.R.

Only a few craft updates this week. I made a little scarfette for Sara's roommate. My first commissioned piece :) I made it with Lamb's Pride in pistachio. It is a simple braid with a crocheted scallop edge. I like these scarfettes. They're quick and cute and work just as good as (sometimes better than) a full-length scarf.

I also finished my calendar book. It's made completely of reclaimed materials. I knit the cover from stash white cotton yarn, and then tried to dye it. Unfortunately, I think the dye is more beautiful than the dyed piece. Here it's completely washed out with light to show the food coloring mixing with water in a cookie sheet. It wasn't until after I "dyed" it that I read online that food coloring won't dye cotton. I just dried it without washing out the dye. It hasn't ruined anything yet, but I'll have to shied it from rain.

The inside is made from old office paper folded in half with the blank side out. Then I bound it with a plastic binding thing I ripped out of an old book I was getting rid of. Stamping out the boxes for all of the days took a while, but it was worth it in the end and I'm excited about the final product.

I have one more project from last week's craft night, but I just realized that I didn't photograph the final product. We made beads from magazine pages and then I strung mine into a necklace.

1 comment:

emmybear said...

LOVE the braided scarf with scalloped edges, yo!