Sunday, March 16, 2008

These Flats Are Made For Walkin'

The weather is finally turning beautiful in DC! This week we turned the corner and jumped into Spring. I celebrated by starting my new routine of walking to work from Union Station . It doesn't save me as much in Metro fees as I'd hoped ($2.35 each way instead of $2.85; lame rush-hour fares,) but it is a much more enjoyable journey to work. Plus a bonus 5 mile work-out. This is the St. Peter's church up 2nd Street from school.


About halfway to Union is the Capital building to my left. It's an amazing walk - past the Senate office buildings, the congressional library, and a ton of other really official-looking buildings.




I worked a bit at SSK, the Tuesday night knitting circle on a cream-colored top, but I had to tear it all out already. The woes of not following patterns... And I missed craft night, so I don't have a lot of good project pictures this post. I do have a picture of a delicious dinner I put together for myself, though. The brown mush is taco meat and beans with cheese. Then sour cream, salsa, and doctored guacamole.

This is my one project photo and I'm disappointed with how it photographed. A large collection of old floppy disks came into my possession, so I decided to cover the two black IKEA coffee tables with them. They'll probably need to be resined for longevity, but they're functional and fun, and matchy-matchy with the new charcoal sofa.

Three things I'm really excited about:
1. Going to McGinty's tomorrow to celebrate my irish roots with live music and a few brews.
2. I was invited to leave the "girlfriend toothbrush" after my fourth?fifth?sixth? stay at hotel-de-Kelsey/Sean/apartment today.
3. A week from now I'll be eating potato pancakes with my family in Florida and then get to see Will soon after :)

Other fun facts from this week:
*I had a very lucrative trip to Value Village, the second hand store in Takoma Park, highlighted with two beautiful burnt-orange (still with tags!) pillows along with two large sheets of cool fabric and two curtain panels that remind me of the really cool curtains in my grandparents' dining room in NH.
*Kelsey and Sean found a great new Thai place in Baltimore that we went to then watched Sweeney Todd (beautiful despite the goriness).
*Met up with Greg for coffee at Firehook Bakery, my favorite chill spot on Capitol Hill (mostly because of they outstanding tartlets)

Promises for a more crafty upcoming week. I'm off to finish moving my work stations into my new spare room so I can get to work!

Happy Saint Patrick's Day! Happy Spring! and (the ex math major in me made me do this) Happy Belated Pi Day!

1 comment:

emmybear said...

Love the floppies tables! The Big Ass book of Crafts has all sorts of things to do with those Ikea tables. You didn't miss much crafting at craft nite. We just sat around knitting and talking. See you at McGinty's tonight!