Sunday, May 25, 2008

Butternut Squash and Yams

Stetson Hatters in the District
Thursday was a Stetson Alumni event in DC that I attended. I have been taking a much needed mental break from the place that I had devoted so much to, but it was nice to get back into the Stetson mode. I reconnected with Peter, an old close friend, and a few other acquaintances, as well as chatted with some older alumni from the area. In true Peter style, the night didn't end as the event ended, so a small group of us took the party on the road to a little gourmet southern-style restaurant down on i street.

Welcome Home
Most exciting is the news that despite the major ball-dropping of the leasing company, we have finally moved into our new apartment!!

So Friday we decided to paint before we started the weekend move. After it took us 2 hours to get our paint at Strosniders (really nice people but unbelievably slow), we ordered some pizza and got to the painting.

This is the before shot of part of the living room and what is now my space, and will soon become my room (with the help of some strategically placed room dividers and curtains).
Vara picked a beautiful mint green with a tint of yellow. It is subtle and fresh.
Emily went for a lilac and chocolate brown that we lovingly call the Neapolitan ice cream room.I went for the theme of those Thanksgiving dinner vegetables that no one actually eats but you still have to put on the table: butternut squash and yams. I still have an additional painting project in mind; but it was quitting time when I finished this much.
Bright and early Saturday morning I ventured out to pick up my moving truck. Petrified at first, I found that they are actually relatively easy to drive. Luckily I was moving close down the road, so I didn't have to test my skills in traffic or really city driving.

Shit, ouch.
Little sleep makes for a clumsy Heidi. So moving was interspersed with little moments of comic relief. Like the time I fell out of the back of the moving truck with a rope nearly wrapped around my ankle (instead I just caught my foot on the license plate, somehow wedging my shoe between it and the truck). And the time that I kicked the xacto knife, barefoot. And the time I was pushing a huge load down the hallway and hit a bump causing the whole thing to topple over and me to fly over top of it (landing gracefully on my feet, of course). And the time that I was carefully lifting a load over that same bump, having learned my lesson, and the big metal piece from my bed came crashing down on my knee. Good stuff. I'm pretty sore and colorful today with all of the evidence of the previous days' adventures.

Work Hard, Play Chill
After all that fun, I was mostly moved in; so Sean and Kelsey came down for a little Silver Spring action. First we went to the Thai place in downtown; Emily met us there. My mom and I had tried it one other time and it was amazing, so I was crossing my fingers for a repeat performance.
They showed me the pictures from their Medeival Times evening the night before. Clearly I was mesmerized.
Then we sampled some colorful beverages (from left to right): Emily, Sean, Kelsey, Heidi. And ate delicious food.
Next stop: Quarry House where we met up with Tommy and Dan Kane. It was the gathering of friends from a lot of different groups who had never met, but everyone meshed together surprisingly well and it was a pretty chill but stellar evening.

Spider what?
Just in case we hadn't enjoyed the day enough, we were able to witness something really spectacular on our walk back to the apartment. The little blurr you see below is a man in a full spiderman costume cutting someone's hair. Mind you, this was about 1:30 in the morning. Luckily Sean spotted this gem and we did a walk-by photo shoot. Unfortunately spiderman recognized what we were doing, so I could only get this one shot.
Stuff is still all over the place, but more pictures to come when my room and the whole apartment is all put together and beautiful!

Happy Birthday, Nina!

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Tommy for being super mover of the year.

No comments: