Thursday, July 30, 2009

Take away this ball and chain...

My ball and chain.
I spent last summer on a plane every other weekend, and doing a roadtrip on the off weekends. I went two months without being home for a single weekend. Now either I'm getting old or the recession has hit my wallet...because I haven't been drinking airport terminal coffee in months, and the civic might as well have turned into a lawn ornament. Where has all of the excitement gone?


What have I been doing instead of globe-trotting and adventure-setting? I've been chained to my desk playing cleanup for a new bossman, drawing my (not-so-little) ass off for school, reading and writing papers on monumental glass installation (as thrilling as it sounds), and occasionally socializing inbetween there. What the hell, we can throw some blame to the home-body beau as well.


But I'll stop being grumpy and talk about some recent projects. Apparently paper doesn't like to photograph well through the plastic portfolio-sleeves, but this will give you an idea of what Ms. Green Glasses has been up to.
I finally finished the School in color.
Maria is keen on these quick-sketch activities (rulers and grids not allowed). If she wants all of this free-form, loose strokes business...I'm going to have to start bringing a bottle of wine with me to class. Here is a chair/desk in a cube (for some reason)

A little living room vignette

a business breezeway

and a quick sketch of a desk and chair

and the beginnings of a living room.


My fingers are all in a knot.

As my hands have been preoccupied with drawing, there hasn't been much time for knitting. But I have been on a bit of a purse kick lately, doing this larger purse with natural cotton and a wood button

and this little purse from noro sock yarn. it still need the closures

and finally this little game day purse. now if only I knew a gator girl....just kidding!! send me your address, Sara!!

please welcome, the President of the United States....

7 months ago I woke up at 4 in the morning, waited in 30 degree weather for 5 hours in an attempt to catch a glimpse of Obama's inauguration. However, when the white tent and secret service showed up at the barracks next door last week, I knew what was coming next - and I didn't want any part of it. Sure enough, as I was trying to drive home Friday afternoon, I was greeted by a squad of DC's finest boys in blue. As the evening progressed, the secret service multiplied, our alley was blocked, the black SUV's rolled in, the crowds grew, snipers got out of their big white SUVs with their big guns and spread out through the neighborhood, and eventually the president's car was parked on my street. A really friendly secret service dude gave me the third degree before allowing me to walk home, and all I wanted was for Mr. President to go back to his big white house.

"Thanks for the visit to our neighborhood, Mr. Obama, but next time can we just come to you? and by the way, what is your wife wearing?"



Summertime, and the livin's ...easy?

If your lucky enough to be reading this from the sticky DC metro area, and your summer adventures also seem to fall within the beltway, here are some fun summer treats in your own backyard:
  • ice cream from Eastern Market. it's a limited selection, but it is delicious
  • if you're feeling tangy, try the frozen yogurt from Sweet Greens in Georgetown
  • mussels and belgium beer on the Belga patio
  • $5 tickets to watch the Nats get pummeled
  • sitting on the steps of the Jefferson watching a storm roll in across the tidal basin
  • outdoor movie screenings - there is one every night of the week somewhere around DC
  • margaritas and guacamole on the patio of Alero
  • crashing a friend's pool
  • crafty festivals: artscape, crafty bastards, adams morgan day
So don your aviators and sunscreen and get out there to embrace that muggy DC August. Pretty soon the floral sun dresses will turn to bleak wool overcoats and we'll all be grumpy about the cold again.

No comments: