Sunday, January 11, 2009

Head coverings.

The knitting momentum from homemade holidays has continued, resulting in a plethora of hats. Chilly head anyone? I'm starting to get a stockpile, but they're going quickly.

I had two balls of "manly" yarn - Sublime's organic merino in a denim blue and dirty gray/brown. They were initially slated for a hat for my dad, until I found some beautiful hand-dyed sport weight from woolarina that was a little more perfect for him. So I made a hat anyway, then had a ton leftover, so I made it's complementary brother with opposite striping. The one that fades from gray to blue has already found a home with Jon. This blue to gray is about to find a home with Bryan - a family friend who I grew up with by way of an old best buddy...he's visiting DC and isn't quite prepared for our blistering winter :)

Then I had to make a few things for myself. First up: I finally got to play with some malabrigo silky that I picked up in New York last month. Another brim hat!

I also finished a cardigan that I had started in the fall with Cascade 220 in avocado and milk chocolate. (To be photographed.) Luckily I had a chunk of each color leftover - so I made some fingerless mitts! I think I might add a little pocket to the back of one for my metro card.

Then some more play with karabella aurora bulky (one of my new obsessions). This time in olive and grey to make another stripy hat. I believe this will find a home with one chilly Florida boy who lost his only hat.

More making stuff!
This week was Wursday instead of Twensday, and it was a brainy day with lots of ideas but not a ton of tangible product. Except this sweet shirt that went from basic design to tweaking to printing to wearing in about an hour. Pretty awesome. This was the first one, so the final version has the orange flowers a little bigger and the rest of the design spaced out to sit a little higher on the shirt. Probably my new favorite shirt.


On a non-creating note, a copy of The Places in Between by Rory Stewart was placed into my hands the other night and it's pretty much amazing. I've heard a few recommendations for it; one sentence into the preface I was intrigued, one page and I was hooked.

1 comment:

D. Jean-Jacques said...

Can you hook a brutha up with a hat??? The only thing I can barter is a cool painting.. cause the whole being poor thing ya know?