Friday, October 10, 2008

Don't Kill the Messenger Bag.

This would be me, crafting, photographing, uploading, and posting instead of crawling into my comfy bed and sleeping. But I'm feeling crafty and the neglectful of the blog - so here I am.

I begin with the necklace made from punch outs from some of Jon's belts. I've never really worked with leather before, but this one was an experiment that resulted in the discovery that leather will actually absorb a lot of the resin (particularly the hardener). I have a technique in mind for attempt number two, but Jon decided to clean up the studio following Crafty Bastards so I'll have to put it on hold until more belts are punched. Here is the result. It's just the leather and resin, with metal loops.


School has been somewhat busy as we're transitioning into applying color to interiors in Color Theory. Here is attempt number one at a monochromatic scheme (I was given a slightly desaturated blue)

And a monotone scheme (using the same blue and it's complement)

This is the color study for the monotone scheme.

Next we'll be doing an analogous color scheme. I was given an inspiration piece that contains orange, orange-yellow, and yellow-green. So this is the beginnings of a color study:

and the value study:

Retail Therapy.

I neglected to mention a fun (and the sole) purchase from Eastern Market last weekend: some buttons! I have at least three WIP sweaters that are or will soon be in need of some buttonage. So I found these old and busted leather (top in reds and blacks) and wood.

I can now talk about my purchases from Stitch DC last week. I found some beautiful organic cotton/wool blend in a charcoal color that is featured a little lower on this page in the form of a messenger bag. I also picked up some of my old favorite: sublime in a silky royal eggplant color:

While traipsing around Bethesda in hunt of one of the only thrift stores in the area, I stumbled upon Knit + Stitch = Bliss. Of course I had to go in and check it out, leaving with some purdy little merino in olive you:


Don't Kill the Messenger Bag.
There isn't much use for knitted goods in Bangladesh, so I was at a bit of a loss for the going away gift for Keith. A messenger bag perhaps? At least he can carry around his mongoose in it. So I knit a giant rectangle and then grabbed some grey corduroy from the crafting corner and busted out the sewing machine. So meticulous with all of the pieces and angles and stuff coming together - I dragged the project out over most of the night so that I could distract myself with food and bad tv.
So there are some pen holders and big and little pockets in the inside:

Keith serves as a walking model for Jon Wye, always sporting the red label on his wardrobe. Pssh, Jon's not the only one who can use tags! :) So I made a green glasses tag for the bag as well:


Safe flights Stephen coming to DC, and Keith going to Bangladesh (who goes there??)

No comments: